Skip to content

DOT&PF Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a suggestion for our FAQ page? Submit it to the .

Click the (+) to see Answers.

  • How do I renew my driver license or take care of other Motor Vehicle duties?

    Driver license renewals, vehicle registration and most other motor vehicle items are handled in the Division of Motor Vehicles. Visit their website for more information or call 907-269-5551 for General Information.

  • Where can I get road condition information?

    Visit You can find additional information at

  • What is the Alaska Marine Highway System?

    The Alaska Marine Highway System is a fleet of elevenships that provides residents and visitors with opportunities to explore Alaska in casual comfort. It is referred to as a Highway because many of the ports it serves cannot be reached except by water or air. Although the system exists to provide public transportation for Alaskans, many visitors travel on Marine Highway ships to experience the scenery, abundant wildlife, and warm hospitality of 35 ports between Bellingham, Washington and the Aleutian Chain. It is a unique ferry system, providing passenger and vehicle transportation over a 3500-mile coastline in a setting that is unequaled in scenic splendor. The Alaska Marine Highway gained federal recognition in 2002, when it was named a National Scenic Byway for its scenic, cultural, and archaeological qualities. Then in 2005, the Alaska Marine Highway was named an All-American Road by the Federal Highway Administration, the highest designation awarded by the National Scenic Byway Program. It is the only marine route with the designation of National Scenic Byway and All-American Road. For information visit at

  • How do I report a motor vehicle crash (form 12-209)?

    You can report a motor vehicle crash directly via the internet by visiting our "Report a Motor Vehicle Crash" website: Report a Crash

  • How can I find out more about traveling on the Alaska Marine Highway System?

    Visit the Alaska Marine Highway Web site at

  • How many miles of public roadway does Alaska have?

    In 2009, Federal and State agencies, municipal governments and local communities reported 15,718 miles of public roads in Alaska. The 2009 Certified Public Road Mileage Report provides detailed summaries at: Transportation Data website

  • How many miles of Alaska's roads are paved?

    In 2009, 4,857 miles of public roads were reported paved. This is about 31% of all public roads in Alaska. Alaska DOT/PF roads have the highest proportion of paved roads at 66% of its 6,500 miles.

  • What employment opportunities are there in DOT&PF?

    The Department of Transportation and Public Facilities hires many new employees every year. There are often opportunities in the engineering field. Recruitment for most division and other state positions is usually limited to Alaska residents. Vacant positions and residency requirements are described on the Workplace Alaska website.

    Many college students come to Alaska and work in intern positions and are eventually hired into permanent positions. Once here, they can apply for a position as a resident of Alaska, for positions that are open. Some employees have started as clerical help (whatever it takes to get a foot in the door).

    For more information about Alaska job registers, application procedures, and other personnel information, you can access the State Personnel website For information about other jobs in Alaska, visit the Department of Labor's Job Seeker Page.

  • What is the STIP?

    The STIP (Statewide Transportation Improvement Program) is made of 4 elements: NHS (National Highway System), AHS (Alaska Highway System), CTP (Community Transportation Program), and TRAAK (Trails & Recreational Access for Alaska). For more information, visit the STIP web site.

  • Where can I find more information about the Alaska Railroad?

    Visit the Alaska Railroad website at

  • What is the Alaska Highway Safety Office and what do they do?

    The Alaska Highway Safety Office is a granting agency which works to enhance the health and well being of Alaska's people through federally funded programs aimed at saving lives and preventing injuries on Alaska's highways. For more information visit the AHSO web site.

  • What happens when you get arrested for a DUI?

    First DUI: 3 days in jail and up to $3,000 fine, Driver License can be permanently revoked. High risk insurance for 5 years.

    Second DUI: up to 30 days in jail, and up to $6,000 fine. Driver License can be permanently revoked. High risk driver for 10 years.

    Felony DUIs: Jail up to 60/120/240/360 days (for 3rd/4th/5th/6th time) and fines of $4000 / $5,000 / $6,000 / $7000 (for 3rd/4th/5th/6th and susequent DUIs). Up to 20 years high risk insurance (Most insurance companies will not insure after a felony DUI). Driver License can be permanately revoked. For more information visit the AHSO web site.

  • Who is Alaska's most dangerous driver?

    The male driver, ages 45-54, in a standard pickup truck.

    In 2009, 65 male drivers, compared to 24 female drivers, were involved in motor vehicle crashes that resulted in fatal injuries. The largest driver age groups involved in fatal crashes were male drivers between the ages of 45-54 (18 drivers), and male drivers ages 25-34 (15 drivers). Twenty-five standard pickup trucks were involved in fatal crashes. For more information visit the AHSO web site.

  • If I want information on a specific project where do I go?

    The DOT&PF project page lists information regarding most of our projects. If you don't find what you're looking for, you can get in touch with construction contacts in the related region. You can also visit the Project Reporting website to view the status of active statewide projects.

  • Where do I find information on when I can put studded tires on my vehicles?

    Visit the DOT&PF Travel Information web page. Look for "Studded Tire Information" in the "Travel by Land" section

  • How does my group Adopt a Highway?

    The Alaska Adopt-A-Highway program began in 1991, and it is one of the truly successful government-public partnerships of our time. More than 664 groups have cleaned and enhanced over 1,535 shoulder-miles of roadside! Find out how to adopt a section of highway by visiting the Adopt-A-Highway Program website.

  • Where does one find DOT&PF policies and procedures (P&P)?

    You can find them on the DOT&PF public website under "Resources & Dcouments," or click here: Policies &Procedures. There are some very old P&Ps that are not on the department’s website. We are in the process of reviewing all P&P’s and revising or deleting those that need updates. If you have suggestions or would like to incorporate a new P&P please contact

  • Where do I get design and construction standards?

    Visit the Standard Specifications website and/or the Construction Standards website.

  • Which airports are managed by DOT&PF?

    The DOT&PF operates two international airports: Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport and Fairbanks International Airport. The DOT&PF also operates 235 rural airports around the state. There are more than 700 FAA-registered airports across Alaska, many of which are owned by local municipalities or privately owned. Additional airport information can be found on the Aviation link from DOT&PF’s home page.

  • Who are the DOT&PF contacts in my region?

    Central Region contacts web page
    Northern Region contacts web page
    Southcoast Region contacts web page

  • What is a Right-of-Way (ROW)?

    Simply stated, a highway right-of-way is an identified strip of land reserved for transportation improvements. The right-of-way includes not only the road surface, but can extend well beyond the edge of pavement, sometimes as far as 200 feet and more. For more Right of Way information visit the Right of Way website.

  • What is an Easement?

    Generally speaking, an easement is the right to use all or part of the property of another person for some specific purpose. Easements can be permanent or temporary (i.e., limited to a stated period of time). Easements are created for a variety of purposes, including public access, utilities, drainage, pipelines, or pole lines.

    Interstate and primary highway easements were granted to the State of Alaska by the Federal Government through Public Land Orders (PLO). Other easements were acquired through Notices of Utilization filed by Department of Transportation and Public Facilities (DOT&PF), and some were purchased from adjoining land owners for a specific purpose. For more Right of Way information visit the Right of Way website.

  • What is Outdoor Advertising?

    Outdoor advertising is advertising visible from the road. This includes political advertising. Even when the sign is located outside the right-of-way, on private property, if it advertises for a business or some activity located somewhere else, it is illegal. Illegal outdoor advertising may include, but is not limited to, business signs, real estate signs advertising property for sale at another location, political signs, vehicles with advertising painted or posted on the side when parked and left, etc. For more Right of Way information visit the Right of Way website.

  • What is an Encroachment?

    An unpermitted encroachment is an unauthorized use of a right-of-way or easement by improvements, objects, items, or obstructions. This can include, but is not limited to, driveways that have not been permitted by DOT&PF, signs, cars, fences, and buildings. Other unauthorized encroachments in the right-of-way include personal items and vehicles parked “for sale.” It also includes stand-alone businesses such as hot dog stands, firewood sales, sandbag sales, souvenir sales, and espresso wagons. Most encroachments will be cited and given a time limit to be removed or corrected. Some encroachments, such as signs, ropes, cables, or blockages of any kind in or across the right-of-way may create a safety hazard and need to be removed immediately by DOT&PF at owner expense. For example, ropes and cables placed across driveways have maimed or killed travelers. For more Right of Way information visit the Right of Way website.

  • What uses are allowed in the Right-of-Way?

    Uses of the right-of-way include, but are not limited to, construction and maintenance of the traveled roadway, foot paths, bike paths, frontage roads, pullouts, parking areas, placement of utilities, and other public uses as DOT&PF deems necessary for the welfare of the public. For more Right of Way information visit the Right of Way website.

  • When are the score sheets and proposals available for review for Construction-Related Professional Services Request For Proposals (RFP)?

    Once the Contracting Agency has completed negotiations and has issued the Intent to Award (ITA) for an RFP, the solicitation files become public. Contractors may schedule a time with the regional Contracts section to come in and review the solicitation records or they may request copies via phone or e-mail. The first 10 pages of a copy request are free, after that, each page is $.25. Past projects are also available for review.

  • What is the difference between a construction-related Request for Proposal (RFP) and an Invitation to Bid?

    A Request for Proposal requires that a Contractor prepare a written technical response. Price may or may not be a criterion. Formal RFPs, or those for services over $100,000, are scored by a committee based on criteria published within the RFP and are awarded to the highest scoring offeror. An Invitation to Bid requests price only and the contract is awarded to the lowest, responsible bidder.

  • After issuing the Intent to Negotiate, how long will it be before the Intent to Award (ITA) is issued?

    The negotiation time can vary from 2 weeks up to a year. It is all dependent on the project schedule, complexity of services, the Contracting Agency’s project manager and the Contractor’s schedule, and occasionally funding. For more information regarding Construction-Related Professional Services visit